January to March 1950


***January, 1950***

Hurried footsteps along the hall woke me before dawn. Alice and I scurried out of bed, only to find both our parents dressed for the day and milling around the kitchen.

"What's happened?" Alice asked, her face a mirror of my worried expression.

"Nothing's wrong," Mom smiled, but I could see a hint of fear in her eyes. "I was just comin' to wake ya. Em's takin' Rosie to the hospital."


"Oh!" Both Alice and I exclaimed at once. My heart leapt in my chest as I thought about the imminent arrival of Rose and Em's baby. I turned in order to race back up the stairs.

"Don't run off," Mom continued. "I'm going to the hospital to wait with Em, but I need you girls to make sure that the others make it off to school on time."

Realization dawned that it was only Wednesday, and despite the fact that our sister was about to give birth, Alice and I still had to go to work.

Alice and I followed Mom out of the house, eager to see our sister before she left for the hospital.

Em was just bundling Rose into the car when we got there. As my mother scooted into the backseat, I happened to glance behind me and found that Pop and the rest of the family had followed us down the street.

We all took turns leaning into Rose's window to kiss and hug her goodbye. "Love you, Rosie," I whispered as tears filled my eyes.

"Don't start," Rose scolded, tears forming as she bit her lip. She grasped our hands one last time before Em eased the car away from the curb.

It was only after they were out of sight that I realized we all, with the exception of Pop, were standing on the sidewalk in our pajamas. "Come on, kids. I think we've given the nosy neighbors enough of a show," Pop was frowning, and his tone was gruff.

I knew he wasn't really angry; he was merely worried about Rose.

Alice, always the one to lessen his bad mood, gave him a quick hug and smiled. "Just think, this time tomorrow you won't be just Pop anymore. You'll be Grandpop."

Pop scowled, but I could see his eyes soften. "Alright, alright, and if you don't get a move on, you'll be unemployed."

The minute our workday was through, Alice and I were out the door like a shot and on our way to catch the trolley that would take us to Saint Vincent's hospital.

Mom and Em looked tired, but both were beaming when we found them near the nursery window. "It's a girl!" Em exclaimed as soon as he saw us.

Alice and I practically cheered as we ran to hug him and Mom.

"How long ago…?" Alice began to ask.

"She arrived a little over an hour ago," Em began. "It's been a long day. The nurse is bringing her to the window soon."

Pop and the rest of the family arrived just as the nurse appeared at the window, holding a tiny bundle. Little Margaret Irene Colonna, named for both her grandmothers, was the most beautiful thing I'd ever laid eyes on. "We've been waiting for you, little one," I whispered against the glass as the nurse held her up for all to see.

A short time later, Ed arrived followed closely by the rest of Em's brothers and their wives. Soon, the waiting room was filled with members of the combined Swan and Colonna families, all there to 'ooh' and 'aah' over the new arrival, and to congratulate her parents.

For a time, after Maggie and Rose came home from the hospital, Mom practically moved into Em and Rose's flat in order to help with the baby. The care of our family fell squarely on the shoulders of me and Alice during those weeks, which meant we didn't have a lot of time to go out on dates.

Ed didn't seem to mind, content to spend most of his evenings visiting in our home, talking with Pop or roughhousing with Patrick. Jasper also started to become a frequent guest as well.

My little brother soon grew as attached to Ed and Jasper as he was to Em, and even after Rose didn't need Mom's help in the evenings any more, our fellows made it a point to show up every Thursday. That was the night they all gathered, including Em and Pop, to watch Patrick's favorite television program, The Lone Ranger.

***February, 1950***

A few weeks after Maggie's birth, Ed and I stood as godparents, and I couldn't help but wonder as I looked down into the eyes of the dark-haired beauty in my arms, whether, if Ed and I were to marry, our children might favor little Maggie.

I couldn't imagine a child of Ed's being anything less than stunning…and Maggie was lovely

As I cradled her, I happened to glance in Ed's direction, and found him watching us. My heart melted at the adoring expression on his handsome face.

After the baptism, Aunt Julie insisted we all gather at her home for lunch.

Everyone was there, and I mean everyone; all the Colonna brothers, their wives and children, along with our family.

"Unca Eddie?" an adorable little girl, one of Carl and Esmeralda's, who looked to be all of about three years old, grabbed a hold of Ed's hand and tugged while we sat in Aunt Julie's parlor.

"Yes, Lucy?" Ed turned to face her with a smile.

"You gotta nickel?" Her brown eyes searched his.

"Ay! Lucy, stop with the beggin'." Her mother scolded from the other side of the room.

Ed grinned and waved a hand, signaling that he didn't mind, "Now, bambina," Ed picked up his niece and sat her on his knee. "What ya need a nickel for?"

"For candy," She smiled sweetly as she played with his shirt collar.

This kid was good…

No doubt her piggy bank was overflowing, if she turned on the charm like this with everyone…

Ed pursed his lips. "Well, I think I might have a spare nickel around here somewheres." He reached into his pocket and produced a coin, much to the delight of the little girl.

"Thanks, Unca Eddie!" She hugged him before climbing off his lap and disappearing in the direction of the kitchen.

She'd no sooner left than one of her brothers appeared in the doorway. As soon as he began to approach Ed, Esmeralda's voice brought him up short. "Don't even think about it, Anthony."
The young boy stopped walking and stared at his mother with wide eyes. "Mind ya manners and go back in that kitchen and eat your lunch. Your Uncle Eddie ain't here so's you kids can bleed him dry."

Anthony made a hasty retreat, and his mother was quick to follow after him.
I giggled in amusement. "She's tough."

He nodded, agreeing. "She keeps those kids in line, I swear."

"I'm never gonna remember the names of all your nieces and nephews," I leaned close to whisper.

He grinned, "I'll help you. It's not that difficult. There are the Sonnys..."

"Yeah, what's the story there?" I cut him off, still keeping my voice low, "Three of your brothers have boys named Sonny?"

He chuckled. "Well, that's not really their names, in each case, those boys were named after their fathers, so rather than have two Carls, Jimmys or Joeys in the house, they chose to call their oldest boys 'Sonny'."

"Oh." I nodded. It made sense. I thought about the number of my relatives who used the nicknames "Buddy" or "Junior" for their fathers' namesakes.

Right then and there, I made a promise to myself that IF I ever married Ed and IF we ever had a boy, we weren't calling him Sonny.

***March, 1950***

By spring, things were back to normal, and little Maggie was growing like a weed.
With the arrival of milder weather, paired with the fact that Ed had recently purchased an automobile, Saturdays soon became my favorite day of the week. Now that he didn't have to borrow a car from one of his brothers, he always went out of his way to make our Saturday afternoons special; whether it was planning a day trip to the seashore or merely a picnic in the park.

On one such occasion, we exchanged our first 'I love yous'. There was no great fanfare, no fireworks, just our whispered admissions, followed by a warm embrace which led to several passionate kisses that would have made my mother blush, had she been there to witness them.

We'd also gotten into a routine of visiting with Elise and Joe once a week to play pinochle. They were a lot of fun, and Elise was quickly becoming a good friend.
Sometimes Em and Rose would show up as well, making our little gathering all the more enjoyable.

It was on one such occasion that I learned a lot more about Ed's childhood than he'd been willing to confide up until that time.

"No thanks," I told Joe as he offered me a cigarette.

"Oh, sorry, I keep forgettin' that you don't smoke," he grinned.

"I'm the only one of my sisters that smokes," Rose admitted as Em offered her a light.

I gave her a dubious look, "I think Laura and Franny have been sneaking cigarettes. Mom smelled it on their clothes."

Rose looked surprised, "Those two…" she shook her head. "At least I waited until I went out to work."

"Franny and her friend, Anne Marie, bagged school the other day too," I continued, "Anne Marie's Mom found them drinking wine in their basement. After that, Pop threatened to lock Franny in her room."

Rose's mouth fell open in shock this time. "What in the world?!" She exclaimed.

"Anne Marie is Fran's little Italian friend, right?" Em asked.

I nodded.

"Uh oh. I can hear it now; I bet your Pops had a field day with that; the Italian girl corruptin' his daughter." He laughed and shook his head.

"Not at all," I defended. "He knows it was more like Franny leadin' poor Anne Marie astray." I smirked, still eyeing my brother-in-law. "I think you and Sarge, here" I patted Ed's arm, "have softened him up."

Em laughed, while Ed smiled.

"So true," Rose chimed in, "Here's an example of how much our parents have changed," she paused, glancing at each of us in turn, "when we were little, our parents forbade us from setting foot in Little It'ly because, according to them, those Italians would slit our throats."

Rose's statement drew uproarious laughter from everyone at the table.

"Rosie, I love your parents," Em remarked, still laughing.

"They grew up in a different world," I sighed.

"Ain't it the truth," Joe agreed as he sipped his beer. "They're good people though; your parents. Your father does right by your mother. They set a good example for youse kids."
Rose and I smiled and nodded.

"The only thing our old man ever did was give lessons on how to be a terrible husband and father. It was good though, none of us, not one, wants to ever be like him," he continued.

"Joe, he's dead, let it go." Ed's tone was quiet.

"Why the hell should I?" Joe downed what was left in the bottle before continuing in a raised voice. "Ed, just 'cause you don't like to talk about it, don't mean it didn't happen. He was a bastard. And the night Mom died, where was he?"

"Joe…" Em tried to stop him from continuing.

"You were the only one there when the ambulance took her away, Ed. Where was he?"

"Out," Ed was staring down at the table as he answered.

"Out with his whore," Joe spat the words. "Our mother was dying, and that son of a bitch was fucking around!"

Joe's eyes filled with tears as Elise patted his back consolingly. "Pardon the language," he rasped out, before clearing his throat.

"You didn't see how he was… after," Ed whispered, his eyes still glued to the table. "He was a broken man…"

"You know what? I don't give a shit. He should have thought about all that while she was still alive! I hope he's burning in Hell right now!" Joe barked. "I'm sorry little brother, I don't think I have it in me to ever forgive him…"

Ed was quiet when he drove me home that night. I didn't press, knowing he was a very private man, and would speak when he was ready.

"Joe's right, you know," his voice barely a whisper as he glanced toward me, "about our Pops. But after Mom died, Carl and I were the ones who saw how he was. He fell apart. Once I left for the Army, Carl said that Pop lost interest in everything. It was like he was punishing himself for all his past sins. There was never a question of whether he loved us… or our mom. It's just that when he drank, there was no controlling that temper… When we were little, he would try to use Mom as his punching bag. Once we were big enough to put a stop to that shit, he'd just leave," Ed gripped the wheel tightly as he continued. "But after she died, he was different. Carl said that right up to the end, even when the cancer was eatin' him alive; he visited her grave and cried. He mourned her every single day for four years." He reached up to brush away a tear, "I can't hate him, Bella…"

I couldn't speak; my own tears very close to the surface. All I could do was reach over and place my hand in his.

"You know why Jimmy puts up with Vicky's nagging?" He glanced toward me again, "It's because he knows how Pops would have reacted to some of the shit she pulls, and Jimmy never wants to be like him. So, he lets Vicky walk all over him, because he loves her. It's the same with all my brothers; they treat their wives like queens, because our mother never got to have that."

It wasn't possible to hold back the tears any longer so, as they fell, I did my best to comfort him, "Your mother raised five wonderful, decent, men. I'm sure she knows, and is very proud of each and every one of you. I do hope that someday Joe can set aside his own anger, instead of carrying that burden around with him."

Ed nodded as he squeezed my hand, "I do too."

That night after arriving home, my eyes still red-rimmed from my tears, I practically threw myself into my father's arms. "Hey, now. What's all this?" He crooned while lightly patting my back.

"Nothing," I sniffled, "I just love you, Pop."

"I love you too, but what's the matter? Have you had a fight with Edward?"

I shook my head against his neck. "No. Sometimes a girl just needs her pop."

Pop sat back then, allowing me to sob against his shoulder until I was cried out.

************A/N**************
A/N 
Every Italian family must include at least one 'Sonny' (or twelve). My southern husband is bewildered over the fact that I can keep all 57 first cousins straight. (To be fair, half of those cousins come from the Irish side…but on the Italian side three are named 'Sonny' and one of them has a boy named 'Sonny' and a grandchild named 'Little Sonny'…lol)

These characters are very close to my heart….You may be able to guess why, but I'll explain fully at the end of the story.

My Facebook name is Annie M Deacon. Not my real name, however if I ever decide to publish an original story, I intend to use the penname A M Deacon.
Please join our Facebook group: Emmamama's Stories, where we meet and discuss. I've also posted photo files on there for each of my stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment