May 1950


***May, 1950***

For months, everything had been perfect.

Too perfect.

I should have known it was too good to last.

One Friday evening, when both Joe and Ed were required to stay late on base, Elise and I were invited to Vicky's for dinner. Vicky explained that Jimmy was working late as well, and the three of us could have a 'girls' night'. She was so intimidating, even over the telephone, that I didn't dare refuse.


During the drive over, I bombarded Elise with questions. "Are you sure she wants me, Elise? Vicky acts like she can't stand the sight of me."

Elise chuckled. "Bella, she's a bitch to everyone." She shrugged, "I don't know. Maybe she's tryin' to do better by Jimmy by being nicer to his family?"

I didn't answer, but was touched that Elise looked upon me as part of the Colonna family.
Dinner was pleasant enough; it wasn't until afterwards, as we sat in Vicky's kitchen chatting over cups of tea that things became uncomfortable.

During a lull in the conversation, Vicky turned to me, her expression suddenly serious. "Bella," she reached and placed her hand over mine, "Besides getting to know you better, I did have another reason for inviting you here tonight."

I waited expectantly for what she had to tell me.

"You seem to be a nice girl, and I can tell you care for Edward quite a bit," she hesitated and bit her lip, "I wonder… has he ever mentioned his German girlfriend to you?"

I stared at her in confusion, completely taken aback by the question. "Why...no, uh…" I stuttered while a knot formed in my stomach.

Come to think of it, Ed has not spoken much about any old girlfriends…

She released a breath and took back her hand, "It's really none of my business, and maybe I should just keep my mouth shut, but I'd hate to see you get hurt when I could have done something to stop it…"

"What you gettin' at, Vicky?" Elise snapped.

Vicky turned to Elise and held her hands up defensively, "I'm just lookin' out for Bella's best interest. It so happens that I saw a picture of Ed and his girl, and she's a dead ringer for Bella here."

His girl?

I thought I was his girl….

I felt sick.

Vicky looked back towards me then, seeming to study my face as she spoke, "I can't help but wonder if your resemblance to her is the reason he's dating you."

"Come on, Vicky," Elise admonished.

Vicky held her hand up again as she stood. "I'll show you," she said, before rushing out of the room.

I sat there wringing my hands until Elise broke the silence.

"Bella, I don't know what she's talking about," she whispered. "I never knew Ed had a girlfriend in Germany…." She bit her lip, "We came home over a year before he did, but he never mentioned…"

Elise didn't get a chance to finish before Vicky returned, holding a photograph out for both of us to see.

"I was dusting, and found this sitting on his dresser," she explained.

The picture was of Ed seated next to a striking young woman. Even though I knew this photo was taken well before we met, it still made my heart ache to see Ed smiling so happily while with someone else.

"She doesn't look like me at all," I whispered, for lack of anything better to say.

"Of course not," Elise blurted, "First of all, she's from Belgium, not Germany."

"And how would you know that?" Vicky asked with narrowed eyes.

"Because Joe took the photo," Elise shot back, "That girl's my cousin, Marie. When Ed came to visit, sometimes we'd set him up with Marie, and the four of us would go out together."

"Hmm," Vicky frowned and turned back to me, "Well, be that as it may, I know that Ed's going to get his orders in a few months and suppose they send him back to Europe? What's to stop him from looking up Marie when he gets there?"

"Because Ed loves Bella," Elise argued.

Vicky ignored her, "Bella, I hope you understand. I had to tell you. It wouldn't feel right, keeping this to myself."

"You just like to cause trouble," Elise was still angry, "I should have known..."

I gently patted her arm to calm her, "No, Elise. It's fine." I turned back to Vicky. "I'm glad you told me."

Vicky smiled sweetly before glaring at Elise.

I cleared my throat and glanced down at my wristwatch. I felt the childish urge to scream, and knew I needed to get out of there. "Um, it's getting late. I suppose we should head back?" I prayed Elise would take the hint.

Thank God she did, and less than five minutes later we were pulling away from the curb.

Elise spent the entire length of the drive home trying to assure me that Marie and Ed were never serious about one another, and that I didn't have anything to worry about. I believed her, truly I did, but there was still a small part of me that was uncertain. Every time I thought of how happy Ed looked in the photo, that uncertainty grew.

While out to dinner with Ed the following evening, I thought about the fact that I'd confided every boring detail of the dates I'd been on, but he had yet to share much about his romantic past. I also kept thinking about what Vicky had said. What if Ed did go back to Europe? What was stopping him from forgetting all about me, especially if he could see Marie again?

These thoughts continued to eat at me, so much so that on the way home I tactlessly blurted out a question without thinking first.

"So," I began, "tell me about the girl you dated in Belgium? Elise's cousin. She's very pretty."

I watched as his brow furrowed in confusion. "What? How did you know…? Did Elise tell you about her?"

"Well, yes, we were at Vicky and Jimmy's. Elise told me a little, but that was after I saw the photo of the two of you together."

He appeared even more confused as he ran a hand through his hair. "I don't understand. What photo?"

"A photo of you and Marie; you both looked really happy…together."

I watched as his eyes opened wide in surprise, "Bella, what the hell? My photos are packed away in my trunk." His voice rose in anger as he continued, "So, what? You were having dinner at my brother's, and because we're dating you thought that gave you permission to snoop through my things?"

My mouth fell open in shock at his words. "I…didn't…"

"Unbelievable," he muttered as I watched his grip on the steering wheel tighten.

"Ed, I did not go through your things." I defended, "Vicky showed me the photograph. She... She said it was sitting on your dresser…"

"There are no photographs on my dresser." He was scowling now, "You really expect me to believe that Vicky was looking through my trunk? Why the hell would she do that? Vicky could care less about any of that."

He shook his head in disbelief, "Bella, you know I'm a private person. It takes a while for me to open up to someone." He pulled the car up to the curb in front of my home, but didn't cut the engine.

I nodded, "I know that, but Ed please believe me…"

He shook his head. "I can't… I mean, I need some time. I need to think." He paused and exited the car before coming around to my side.

I silently climbed out and walked toward my front porch in a daze.

I couldn't understand why he wouldn't listen, and why he was so angry.

"The irony is that I would have eventually shown those photos to you, but if there's one thing I can't stand Bella, it's a sneak." He spat the words angrily once we reached the door. "I would never go behind your back like that..."

Now it was my turn to get mad. I turned to face him and poked my finger into his chest for emphasis. "I don't make a habit of lying, Edward Colonna. How many times do I have to say that I didn't go through your things before you'll believe me?" I practically shouted those words before placing both my hands on my hips. "You think that Vicky is more trustworthy than me?"

He opened his mouth to answer, and I waved him away. "It doesn't matter. You said you need time? As of right now, you've got all the time in the world. Don't telephone me and don't come to my house." I opened the door and stepped inside before slamming it in his face.

As I turned to race up the stairs, I caught a glimpse of Pop sitting straight up in his easy chair, staring at me with wide eyes.

Alice wasn't yet home from her date and, as I undressed for bed, I was grateful for the solitude.

I cried myself to sleep that night; my tears more the result of anger than hurt.

***YBTM***

The day after my fight with Ed, I confided everything to Alice. She was on my side, of course, and spent the rest of the weekend trying to lift my spirits by distracting me with preparations for our upcoming holiday.

For the past three years, after attending the Memorial Day Parade, Alice and I, along with our friends Marcie and Betty, would spend a few days at the seashore.

I supposed that Ed took my words to heart because, by the time we left on our trip, I still hadn't heard a word from him.

"Come on, Bella," Marcie insisted. "Get dressed; we're going to try out that new place on the boardwalk for dinner. We'll have a few drinks; heck, maybe we'll even go dancing afterwards."
Betty and Alice giggled and nodded their heads in agreement.

I knew this was coming.

We'd been so tired after arriving, that we'd settled for hot dogs from a vendor for dinner last night. I knew that tonight, Alice and my friends would want to get dolled up and do the town.
I frowned at my sister, "And how will Jasper feel if you go dancing?"

Alice shrugged, never losing her smile. "I'm not married to him. There's nothing wrong with going out and having some fun."

I gave a defeated sigh, not able to shake the sadness I'd felt for the past few days. Alice grabbed my hand, "Bella, he's going to apologize. Give it time," she whispered.

I hoped she was right.

"Go," she gave me a slight push in the direction of the bathroom. "Wash off the sand, so we can get out of here."

I nodded and did as she said.

We were dressed and almost out the door when Mrs. Collins, the lady who ran the rooming house, called me to the telephone. "Bella honey, someone's on the phone asking for you."

Alice and I stared at one another in shock. It's funny that it never occurred to me that it might be one of our parents, notifying us of some emergency.

I knew it was Ed.

Alice must have had the same thought, "Make him work for your forgiveness," she whispered before I walked over to pick up the handset.

"Hello," I answered in a quiet tone, turning to find that everyone had vacated the room, giving me a few moments of privacy.

"Bella?"

"Yes."

"Bella, it's Ed."

"I know."

There followed a moment of awkward silence.

"Listen, I know you're angry, and I honestly don't blame you. I acted like a jackass."

"Yes, you did." I wasn't going to argue with the truth.

Ed's low chuckle sounded in my ear, melting my heart just a little. God, how I missed him.

"I am so very sorry, Bella, for the things I said and the way I behaved. Can you forgive me?"

I paused; thinking about what could have possibly happened to change his mind. "You no longer believe that I went through your things?"

"No. I'm sorry I ever accused you of that…"

"Why not?" I interrupted. "What made you change your mind?"

"Well, deep down I knew you weren't like that. And then Elise called me a stupid S.O.B. for what I said."

I pursed my lips and nodded, knowing full well he couldn't see me. "So, Elise told you that Vicky was the one snooping through your stuff?"

"Yeah, she said that Vicky showed the picture to the both of youse…"

"And you now believe me only because Elise told you so?" My voice rose in indignation.

"No, no. I'm sorry for what I said. I'm a fool. Please, Bella. Why don't you come home and let me make it up to you?"

"Absolutely not," I exclaimed. "I'm having a good time with people who don't think I'm a liar and a sneak."

Well, I wasn't really having a good time, my fight with him had seen to that, but I was trying.

"Please, Bella. You're neither of those things. I am so sorry…."

"You certainly seemed to believe I was a few days ago. I'm sorry, but I can't date someone who has such a low opinion of me." I paused and sighed.

"Is this it then?"

"What?"

"The… the end of us…"

Tears filled my eyes at the sound of Ed's voice catching on those words.

"I don't know." The last thing I wanted to do was lose him, but now it seemed that I was the one who needed time to think. As much as I loved him, I couldn't be with someone who didn't trust me.

"Listen," I was whispering now. "I'll be home on Saturday. We can talk then."

"Alright. I love you, Bella."

"Love's not the problem." I told him. "I love you too."

***YBTM***

It's quarter to three, there's no one in the place except you and me
So, set 'em up, Joe, I got a little story you oughta know
We're drinkin', my friend, to the end of a brief episode
Make it one for my baby and one more for the road

I got the routine, so drop another nickel in the machine
I'm feelin' so bad, wish you'd make the music pretty and sad
Could tell you a lot, but you've got to be true to your code
So, make it one for my baby and one more for the road

******************A/N******************
A/N Song Rec: "One For My Baby" – Sinatra. Yeah, right about now, Ed is listening to Frank and feeling very sorry for himself. lol

The next chapter covers June 1950, which begins the day after Bella and Ed's phone call.

I'm Annie M Deacon on FB. Come join our FB group: Emmamama's Stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment