Return to November 1952



***Return to November, 1952***

Needing a distraction from the sight of the happy couples on the dance floor, I went in search of my sister Rose. As soon as I found her, I snatched little Charlie from her arms, knowing that he would sit contentedly on my lap as long as I made sure to continuously feed him bits of wedding cake.

A short time later, his belly full of cake, he fell asleep in my arms. I brushed back the wisps of blonde curls and kissed his round, red cheek. I remembered Ed saying he'd been blonde when he was small, and I let myself daydream that someday I'd hold in my arms an angel very similar to this one, part of Ed and part of me.


"He is a good baby," Alice whispered as she sat beside me. "May I?" She gestured toward the sleeping bundle, wanting to hold him.

"Are you sure there's enough room?" I asked with a giggle, considering that Alice was to deliver her child in another two months; her own belly seemed to take up most of her lap.
"Hand him over," she demanded with a grin.

As Alice got Charlie settled on her lap, the master of ceremonies spoke into the microphone, demanding our attention.

I tried to remember what the bride and groom would be called upon to do next.

The bouquet toss?

"At this time, ladies and gentlemen, we're going to do something a little different. The bride and groom have requested this next song in honor of family members whose sweethearts can't be with us today. We dedicate this song, "You Belong to Me" to them, in hopes they will be together again soon."

Tears pooled in my eyes as the opening strains of the song that had grown to mean so much to me began.

Knowing she'd done this, I glanced over toward Franny and found her beaming at me. I didn't have a chance to cross the room to give her a hug before I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to find my brother Patrick standing behind me, looking quite dapper in his suit.

My usually happy-go-lucky brother had a solemn expression on his face, "May I have this dance, Isabella."

I wiped away the remnants of my tears and smiled at Patrick as I graciously accepted his offer. "I'd love to."

See the pyramids along the Nile
Watch the sun rise on a tropic isle
Just remember, darling, all the while
You belong to me

My brother, at nine years old, did surprisingly well on the dance floor. "Where'd you learn to dance, Patty?"

He shrugged without ever relaxing his posture, "Alice has been teachin' me."

The mental image of a heavily pregnant Alice dancing with our little brother caused me to throw my head back and laugh.

I'd been on the verge of tears all day, and it felt so good to finally laugh.
See the marketplace in old Algiers
Send me photographs and souvenirs
Just remember when a dream appears
You belong to me

As we danced, I happened to glance over to where my parents were sitting, and found them watching us intently. They both bore serious expressions; in fact, my mother had her hand over her mouth as if she would break down in tears at any moment.

I wanted to run to her; find out what was causing her such distress, but I didn't have a chance before I felt another tap on my shoulder and heard a familiar voice murmur low in my ear, "May I cut in?"

The voice sounded so much like Ed's that it caused my heart to skip a beat. However, the part of me that still had a grasp on sanity and reason assured that once I turned around, I would most likely find one of Ed's brothers standing there.

I held my breath and plastered on a smile before turning. The smile fell away, replaced by an expression of astonishment and disbelief, for standing before me was Sergeant Edward Colonna, looking as handsome as the day we'd met.

When I got out of bed that morning, I could have sworn that I was the same level-headed, rational being that I'd always been. I wondered at which precise moment, between then and now, I had gone mad...

I had to hand it to my unhinged brain, however, for it had conjured up a vision of Ed that put most of my other memories of him to shame.

He was absolutely dazzling as he stood there in his uniform, a radiant smile on his face, and his eyes burning with love for me.

Evidently, the apparition was more than my poor heart could take. As I tried to remember how to breathe, I felt my knees suddenly go weak. Before I could collapse in a heap on the dance floor however, my imaginary Edward reached out and caught me in his arms.

Oh!

I'd never envisioned it possible for a specter to manage such a feat…

"Bella," he whispered.

How many times had I dreamt of hearing my name again on those lips?
But this wasn't real…

"Th.. This isn't possible…"

He chuckled lightly as he pulled me against his chest, swaying in time to the music.
"Not impossible," he began, "I'm here and I love you. I've missed you so much, my darling."

The longer he held me, the more I began to believe that maybe, just maybe this Edward wasn't a product of my overactive imagination.

Maybe he was really here.

I'll be so alone without you
Maybe you'll be lonesome too-and blue

Fly the ocean in a silver plane
See the jungle when it's wet with rain
Just remember till you're home again
You belong to me

I looked up, holding his gaze, "But… how?"

"My tour of duty is over," he shrugged lightly. "I found out a few weeks ago, and when I realized I'd more than likely arrive home on the day Franny was getting married, I couldn't help it, I had to surprise you."

I drew in a deep breath and rested both hands on his shoulders as tears filled my eyes. "I can't believe…"

"Oh sweetheart, please forgive me, I never intended to scare you," he chuckled, happy tears pooling in his own eyes.

"Did anyone else know?"

He nodded. "Both our families helped me work it all out. The song, the dance with Patrick, they were all part of the plan. Em snuck away from the reception a coupla' hours ago to pick me up at the station; bet you didn't even know he was missing."

I shook my head, as the tears trailed down my cheeks.

"I've been hiding back in the kitchen, sneaking peeks at you since I got here," he let out a breath, "my God Bella, you're breathtaking."

Suddenly, I was aware of no one and nothing else apart from me and Ed. We were alone in the world, and he was really here with me.

I slid my hands from his shoulders and grasped his upper arms tightly, "It's as if all my dreams have come true. Welcome home my darling."

Without another word, Ed bent his face low, hesitating only briefly before crashing his lips to mine. Every ounce of love and longing we'd felt during the past two years was poured into that kiss.

I'll be so alone without you
Maybe you'll be lonesome too-and blue

Fly the ocean in a silver plane
See the jungle when it's wet with rain
But remember, darling, till you're home again
You belong to me

My love was home; he was safe; and my heart was once again whole.



****************A/N***************
A/N And there you have it dear readers.

Song Rec: "You Belong to Me", several artists have covered this song. For the purposes of this story, I prefer the version by Jo Stafford.

For those who are interested, at the end of the epi, I will post a lengthy note separating the 'true events' from fiction.


No comments:

Post a Comment